Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Popcorn and Beer

December 14, 2009

Monday. Recovery. Last night I sent Jay an email saying I would meet him at the gym at 5:45 AM for our run… followed by “oh I forgot we already qualified, sleep in we deserve it!”

The legs are still stiff and though I make it to the gym for lunch, work calls and I have to cut my stretching short. I do see Corey as I am entering LTF, he is leaving. Not much is said we but we both nod to each other and share some small talk. His support and belief has been great these past few months.

The day is filled with work and the little things that make up life. I eat more cookies than I deserve and spend the evening with the boys. Wil and I have started to play a game of chess each night, followed by Christmas songs, me on guitar while he sings. It is not pretty, but we play and sing loudly and just do not care.

Jack is growing and he is quickly becoming a teenager. I will hug him as many times as possible in a year or two that will be gone. He is a good young man and I am proud of how hard he is working at school. We both stay up too late watching Monday Night Football. It is a common bond that we will likely always have, Kim comes to shoe him off to bed as Dad has let him stay up too long. I hope he will remember fondly the time spent on the couch eating popcorn and watching football.

Yeah, I was eating popcorn (and drinking a beer). I missed that these past few months of training, not that I stayed completely away from popcorn and beer, but I did so sparingly and never with our considerable thought. Tonight I just enjoyed.

No comments: