Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Nemo's Lucky Fin

Day 58

Boston Qualifying Training. Frustrated. That is the best way to express my feelings right now. Just plain frustrated. I woke this morning after a restless nights sleep. Every time I turned a sharp pain in my shoulder would wake me up. It ached all night highlighted with bolts of white hot pain to remind me why I should not dive for a football on Sunday.

Carefully crawling out of bed, I made my way to the gym. Easing into the pool, I started slow, working my shoulder carefully, part of the rotation was okay, other parts of the motion was barely tolerable. I move gently and slowly in the water trying to warm up and hoping as the muscle and joint warms the pain will cease. The more I go, the more I find I am unable to pull with my right arm. I feel like Nemo with the little fin on one side. After the first 250 I thought maybe… it will be slow and I might end up swimming in a circle, but maybe.

I was unable to breast stroke for the next 200, so back to my slow crawl, again managing the pain and waiting for it to dull. A 100 Kick and it was time for the main set. The first part of the main set was 4 x 200. I was able to get through the first two, though by the third 200, the bolts of sharp pain, became a long continuous pain in the shoulder for the complete motion. No good. Time to stop. I’m 1000 meters into a 3600 meter workout and I am done. I go directly to the kick session, completing 5 x 100 kick board with fins. Total for the morning is 1500 meters. I barely warmed up.

Showering is a chore as I can not lift my arm. My trip to Vegas is well timed… I will miss the pool on Thursday and take that time to rest the arm. Likely I will find a tower and walk a tower several stories up and down until I hit a 100 floors. Always a good workout. I’ll spend the next few days focusing on core. I’ll also do that today during lunch.

Weight 179… dang… frustration all around. Thank goodness tomorrow is track day.

No comments: